One of my favourite classics – moist, nutty and satisfying. Nothing else to add 🙂 Original recipe from BBC Good Food.
- 250g (2 cups) plain white flour
- 250g (2 cups) wholemeal flour
- 100g (1¼ cups) rolled porridge oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 25g (1 tablespoon) soft butter
- 500ml (1 cup and 1 tablespoon) kefir or buttermilk
Sift both flours and mix with oats, baking soda and salt, then lightly work in chopped butter and kefir. Knead briefly only until all ingredients are combined. The dough is rather wet so try to work fast. Transfer it over to a tin lined with parchment paper and form a 20cm diameter loaf. With a long blade knife carve a deep cross on the top. Bake for 35 minutes in an oven preheated to 190°C until the bottom makes a hollow sound when tapped. Allow to cool down before slicing.